Engineer Simple https://www.engineersimple.com/2020/05/preposition-rules-and-practise.html
Preposition Rules and Practise
Preposition Rules and Practise
Pre শব্দের অর্থ পূর্বে এবং Position শব্দের অর্থ অবস্থান।
যে Word Noun বা Pronoun-এর পূর্বে বসে সেই Noun বা Pronoun-এর সঙ্গে বাক্যের অন্যান্য Word-এর সঙ্গে সম্পর্ক স্থাপন করে তাকে Preposition বলে।
যেমন : There is a cow in the field. এখানে in Preposition এবং তা Cow এবং field-এর মধ্যে সম্পর্ক স্থাপন করেছে।
At এর ব্যবহার
১।অবস্থান বুঝাইতে নাম উল্লেখিত ছোট স্থানের আগে যেমনঃ গ্রাম, এলাকা, মহল্লা ও ছোট শহরের আগে at বসে।যেমনঃ at Baratengra, at Chashara
২। সময় বুঝাইতে at বসে। যেমনঃ I go to bed at 10 o’ clock.
৩।অবস্থা বুঝাইতে at বসে। যেমনঃ The country is at war now.
৪।হার / গতি বুঝাইতে at বসে। যেমনঃ Iffat was driving the car at 100 kilometers per hour.
৫।দায়িত্ব বুঝাইতে at বসে। যেমনঃ You must repair it at your own cost.
৬।দূরত্ব বুঝাইতে at বসে। যেমনঃ Barguna is at 50 kilometers from here.
৭।বয়স বুঝাইতে at বসে। যেমনঃ He lost his father at 10.
৮।দিক বুঝাইতে at বসে। যেমনঃ He pointed the gun at him. নিম্নের শব্দ গুলোর পর at বসে। arrive, astonished, annoyed, envy, fire, knock, shame, smile, laugh, surprised, louch, wonder, alarm, jeer.
To এর ব্যবহার
১।কোন স্থানে আসা এবং যাওয়া বুঝালে ঐ স্থানের আগে to বসে।যেমনঃ i. He goes to school everyday. ii. He came to Bangladesh in 1971.
বিঃদ্রঃ আসা এবং যাওয়া বুঝালেও home, abroad, here, there এর আগে to বসে না। ব্যতিক্রমঃ From here to there.
২।বাক্যে V+তে / র = to+V1. যেমনঃ i. He told me to read a book. ii.I have nothing to give you.
৩।ব্যক্তির কাছে বুঝালে তার আগে to বসে।যেমনঃ He came to me.
৪।অনুসারে বুঝাতে to বসে।যেমনঃ The food is to me test.
৫।সীমানার বাইরে বুঝাতে to বসে।যেমনঃ Japan is to the east of our country.
৬।পর্যন্ত বুঝাতে to বসে।যেমনঃ They fought to the last.
৭।পরিমান / হার বুঝাতে to বসে।যেমনঃ There are 2.54 c.m. to an inch. নিম্নের শব্দ গুলোর পর to বসে।
incline, harmful, beneficial, injurious, according, accustomed, add, admit, adjacent, affectionate, attend, bar, cling, belong, close, commit, common, known, confined, congenial, contrary, dedicate, devote, expose, exceptional, yeld, grateful, hostile, indebted, introduced, irrelevant, liable, loyal,object, prefer, preferable, senior,junior, superior,talk, inferior, prone, refer, reply, speak, lead, eager,willing.
In এর ব্যবহার
১।কোন বিষয় বা ভাষায় বুঝালে তার আগে in বসে। যেমনঃ in English, in Accounting, in Arabic.
২।বড় স্থান বুঝাতে in বসে। যেমনঃ We live in Dhaka.
৩।সময়ের ক্ষেত্রে ( মাস / বছর / ঋতুর নাম ) বুঝাতে in বসে। যেমনঃ We get freedom in December in 1971.
৪।ক্ষেত্র বুঝাতে in বসে। যেমনঃ I am unable to help you in this regard.
৫।অবস্থা বুঝাতে in বসে। যেমনঃ He is in a good health.
৬।বিবেচনা বুঝাতে in বসে। যেমনঃ You have to do it in your own interest.
৭।পেশার ক্ষেত্র বুঝাতে in বসে। যেমনঃ He has been in politics.
৮।মাধ্যম বুঝাতে in বসে। যেমনঃ You have to pay the bill in cash.
৯।অনুপাতের ক্ষেত্র বুঝাতে in বসে। যেমনঃ In England, one in three enters higher education. নিম্নের শব্দ গুলোর পর in বসে। expert, excel, indulge, succeed, believe, assist, interested, consist (নিহিত অর্থে), lie, encourage, grory, persist, rich, trade.
For এর ব্যবহার
১।সময়ের আগে ধরে / যাবৎ / ব্যাপিয়া বুঝাইতে for বসে। যেমনঃ It has been raining for two hours.
২।জন্য বুঝাইতে for বসে। যেমনঃ What can I do for you?
৩।সাহায্য অর্থে বুঝাইতে for বসে। যেমনঃ Would you please do it for me?
৪।কারন বুঝাইতে for বসে। যেমনঃ Rajshahi is famous for its mangoes.
৫।সমর্থন বুঝাইতে for বসে। যেমনঃ Are you for the proposal?
৬।মূল্য বুঝাইতে for বসে। যেমনঃI bought this pen for 20 taka.
৭।বিনিময় বুঝাইতে for বসে। যেমনঃ You will get a coupon for every 100 taka you pay. নিম্নের শব্দ গুলোর পর for বসে। compensate, ask, affection, appetite, bound, care, desire, long, fit, search, seek, thirst, zeal, zest.
- Aware of: People should be aware oftheir right.
- Aim at: He aimed atthe lion.
- Annoyed at: My brother is annoyed atour plan.
- Annoyed with: My mother is annoyed with
- Access to: We have free access tothe information.
- Accuse (somebody) of: We should not accuse him ofthe robbery.
- Approve of: I cannot approve ofyour misconduct.
- Adhere to: We should adhere toour strategy.
- Admit of: His conduct admits ofno defense.
- Affix to/on: Please, affix this hallmark to/onthe envelop.
- Afraid of: She is afraid ofworking there.
Allot to: Sixty shares were allotted to
- Amazed at: We are amazed athis manners.
- Ambition for: We should have ambition forattaining higher point.
- Ambitious 0f: He is ambitious of
- Anxious about: I am anxious aboutthe outcome.
- Anxious for: I am anxious forthe reward.
- Apologize to: You all must apologize tohim for your conduct.
- Appetite for: They have no appetite for
- Apply to (person): I applied tohim for the position.
- Apprised of: We were apprised ofthe occurrence.
- Aptitude for: The boy has no aptitude for
- Aspiration for / after: The boy has no aspiration for/after
- Assent to: They assented tothe bid.
- Compare with: Himel is often compared with
Compare to: The girl is compared to
- Congenial to: This ether is congenial tosound
- Condole with: I condoled withhim on his sister’s death.
- Confident of: I am confident ofsuccess in this instance.
- Congratulate on: We congratulated him onhis victory.
- Consist of: Our family consists ofsix members.
- Consist in: True happiness consists in
- Consistent with: Our works must be consistent withour plan.
- Contact with: He has a good contact withthe good boys.
- Contemporary of: Tazuddin was contemporary of Sheikh Mujib.
Contrary to: Your plan is contrary to
- Control of / over: The boy does not have control of/over
- Conversant with: He was not conversant withthe plan.
- Converted to: He was converted to
- Converted into: The water has been converted into
- Convict of: He was convict of
- Conducive to: Fresh air is conducive to
- Contempt for: Mona Lisa has a strong contempt forpop music.
- Confine to: Still the women are confined tothe kitchen.
- Cope with: Sometimes we cannot cope withso many difficulties.
- Charge against: We have 2 charges against
- Charged with: The chairman was charged with
- Contribution to: Hafsa has much contribution toour women education.
- Contribute to: Zahanar Imam has contributed a lot toour women education.
- Decide upon: They have not decided upontheir plan.
- Decide against: The issue was decided against
- Meditate to: Hamza dedicates all his works tohis teachers.
- Defer to: The manager has deferred the discussion tothe next meeting.
Delight in: Marry finds delight in
- Delighted at/with: My friends are delighted at/withmy result.
- Deliver to: The books are delivered to
- Deprived of: The poor are deprived of the light of
- Deal in (Business) (something): His brother deals in
- Deal with: His father deals with Hannan .
- Depend on: Our economy depends on
- Dependent on: Our economy is dependent on
- Desist from: We desisted fromdoing the work.
- Dislike to/ for: Nur has dislike to/forthe boy.
- Dispense with: They dispensed withhis services.
- Dispose of: We disposed ofour labor in time.
- Dissent from: We dissent fromyour ideas.
- Distrust of: They have no distrust of
- Devote to: The girl is devoted to
- Diffident of: Hafsa is diffident of
- Differ from: She differs from me onthis matter.
- Different from: They are different from
- Emphasis on: The principal gave emphasis onhis opinion.
- Entrust (something to somebody): He entrusted him withthe property.
- Entrust (somebody with something): He entrusted the book to her.
- Escape from: There is no escape from
- Essential to: Hard work is essential to
Excel in: The man excels in
- Exempt from: The students were exempted from
- Expose to: Don’t expose it tothe sun.
- Famous for: Dinajpur is famous for rice.
- Faithful to: The dog is faithful toits master.
- Favourable to: His speech was favourable toour action.
- Favourable for: The situation is favourable for
- Fruitful in: His brain is fruitful in
- Fruitless of: Our labour is fruitless of any gain.
- Fond of: He is fond of
- Fondness for: He has fondness for sweets.
- Foreign to: The idea was foreign to
- Familiar to: He is familiar to
- Familiar with: My father is very familiar with .
- Glory in: We glory inyour success.
Good at: He is good at
- Grateful to: You should be grateful to
- Guilty of: He is guilty of
- Guard against: You should guard against mistakes.
- Guard from/against: Guard against such mistakes.
- Hang to//on/from: Hang it to/on/fromthe wall.
- Hanker after: Everyone hankers after
- Hear of / about: I heard of/abouthis father from my friend.
- Hesitate at: We should not hesitate atspeaking the truth.
- Hint at: He hinted at the problem earlier.
- Hostile to: No one should be hostile tosuch a plan.
- Identical with: Your idea is identical with
- Ignorant of: All of us were ignorant ofthe problem.
- Immaterial to: This is immaterial toyour case.
- Immune from/ against/ to: We are not immune from/against/to any attack from the enemy.
- Import to: The idea imparted tohim was wrong.
- Impose upon: Himel has imposed upon all of
- Impute to: The police imputed their crime tothe victim’s associates.
- Indebted to: They are indebted to you for your help.
Indulge in: Do not indulge in
- Infer from: We all could not infer anything fromhis speech.
- Innocent of: The boy is innocent of the charge.
- Inquire for/ after: The principal inquired for/ after
- Insist upon: Himel insisted upon my going there.
- Intent on: I am intent on doing that.
- Involved in: Himel was not involved inthe action.
- Indifferent to: Himel is indifferent toour activities.
- Influence on: Her success has great influence on my present activities.
- Jealous of: Shefa is jealous of my success.
Jest at: We all should not jest at
- Judge by: We should not judge a thing only by
- Kind to: My father was kind to the poor.
- Kindness to: My father showed kindness to the poor.
- Known to: Himel is known to
- Lack of: The boy has lack of common sense.
- Laugh at: Never laugh atthe poor.
- Libel on: The novel is a libel onhuman nature.
- Liking for: The girl has a liking for
Live in: He lives in
- Long for / after: Who does not long for/afterhappiness?
- Loyal to: We should be loyal toour government.
- Marry to: He was married to
- Match for: Mahadi has no match for
- Match with: That colour does not match with that.
- Meet with: Yesterday I met witha bus-accident.
- Mourn for: The people mourn fortheir great hero.
- Natural to: This behavior is natural to
- Necessary for/ to: Industry is necessary for/to
- Object to: We object to that remark.
- Occur to: The idea did not occur toAnis at that time.
- Open to: Her remark is open to
- Oppose to: The principal has opposed toour proposal.
- Opposite to: Her house is opposite to
- Opposition to: There is no opposition tothe bill.
- Partake of: Let Himel partake of some food.
- Particular about: Bob is very particular aboutbuilding his life.
- Peculiar to: This type of dress is peculiar to
- Permit of: My conduct does not permit ofa sympathetic consideration.
- Pity for: Himel has no pity forthe poor.
Play on: Shefa plays ona piano well.
- Play with: Himel played withmy feelings.
- Pleased with: The principal is pleased withthe students.
- Point out: At first you should point out the problem, Point at: Himel pointed his gun atthe bird, Point to: Her speech pointed to some of our defects.
- Popular with: Himel is popular withthe students for his sense of humour.
- Preside over: Himel presided overthe meeting.
Preside at: Himel presided at the table.
- Prevent from: Grass prevents soil fromwashed away.
- Prior to: Her proposal was placed prior to
- Profit by: We all profit by practical experience.
- Prefer to: She prefers coffee to
- Preference for: I have preference forEnglish novels.
- Protest against: The workers will protest against their employers bad activities.
- Prejudice against: We have no prejudice againstany religion.
- Pretext for: This is his pretext for your going there.
- Pride in: Shefa takes pride in her beauty.
Proficient in: Ibnat is proficient in
- Qualified for: Shefa is qualified for the post.
- Quick at: Ibnul is very quick at mathematics.
- Quick of: Shefa is quick ofunderstanding the matter.
- Reason with: Himel reasoned withme on this issue.
- Pity for: Himel has no pity for the poor.
Play on: Shefa plays ona guiter well.
- Play with: She played withmy feelings.
- Pleased with: The principal is pleased withthe students.
- Recover from: May your mother recovers fromthe disease very soon.
- Refer to: This statement does not refer to
- Regard for: We have no regard forthis old man.
- Relevant to: Your speech was relevant tothe concern.
- Relieve from /of: This will relieve you from
- Rely on: We should not rely onthis fickle-minded man.
- Remarkable for: Himel is remarkable forhis oratory.
- Remind of: The accident reminds me ofmy friend’s death.
- Reply to: He did not give any reply toher proposa1.
Respect for: Shefa has great respect for
- Respectful to: We all should be respectful toour teachers.
- Respond to: You did not respond to my call.
- Rest with a person: Now it rests with you togrant my urge.
- Rest upon (something): We rested uponyour capacity.
- Reward with: The president rewarded him withthe medal for his fearless action.
- Rebel against: The hostility rebelled againstthe government.
- Related to: Our actions are related to our mentality.
Result from: Viciousness results from
- Rid of: It is high time you got rid of your bad habits.
- Rivalry with: They have no rivalry with
- Rob of: The mugger robbed me ofmy possessions.
- Sanguine of: They are sanguine of
- Satisfied with: Roy is satisfied withthe boy.
- Search for: I was searching for these scopes.
- Sentence to: John Dryden was sentenced todeath for murder.
- Shame at/for: Your parent feels shame at/for your conduct.
- Short of: Himel ran short of
- Shrink from: Shefa shrinks fromdoing this.
- Side with: We should side withthe blind people.
- Smile upon: Fortune smiles uponthe brave.
- Snatch at: A drowning man snatches ata straw.
Stare at: Himel stared at
- Strange to: Himel name is strange toall of us.
- Submit to: At last the protestors submitted tothe president.
- Sufficient for: These pens are not sufficient for
- Suffer from: The girl has been suffering fromfever for two days.
- Suffer for: We must suffer forour misdeeds.
- Suitable for/ to: That food is not suitable for/to
- Supplement to: That document is supplement to
- Sure of: She was sure ofpassing the examination.
- Surprised at/ by: We all were surprised at/byher performance.
- Suspect of: We suspect the boy of
- Suspicious for / of: Himel has no sympathy for/ofthe poon.
- Shocked at: Himel was shocked atmy conduct.
- Similar to: Your idea is similar to
- Taste for: Himel has no taste for
- Thankful to: She was thankful toyou for your help.
- Tell on/upon: Smoking tells on/upon our health.
- Tide over: We can easily tide overthe problem.
Tolerant of: They should be tolerant of
- Tremble with: The kid is trembling with
- True to: One should be true toone’s words.
- Think of: Hafsa should think ofthe matter.
- Unequal to: Rifa feels unequal tothe task.
- Unite with: We all united withthem for better performance.
- Urge upon: We urged the issue uponhis request.
- Useful to(a person) for (a purpose): This technology will be useful tothe students for understanding the problem.
- Vain of: The girl is vain of her beauty.
- Versed in: My father was well versed in
- Vest with: She was vested with the authority.
- Victim of: We are the victim of the earthquake disaster. .
- Victim to: The driver falls in a victim to
- Void of: Her speech is void of any meaning.
- Wait upon: He waited upon the guests well.
- Want for: You have no want for money now.
Wanting in: The boy is wanting in
- Wish for: They do not wish for
- Wander at (something): We wondered at the natural diversity of the place.
- Worthy of: Her speech is worthy of
- Yield to: They must yield to
- Zest for: I have no zest for listening to music.
- Zealous for: He was very much zealous for doing the work.S
Insert an appropriate preposition in the blanks in the following sentences
1.Preposition Rules and Practise
- They arrived ____________ Bombay__________ 8:00 p.m. __________ July 30.
- Charles lives ____________ College Avenue_________an apartment.
- Phoenix is located __________ the state _________ Arizona.
- John asked me to go _________ him to buy a pair ________ shoes.
- Put a pad _____________ the hot dish to protect the table.
- Mr. Walker TEMPhas __________ a grey suit today.
- dis story was written __________ Conan Doyle.
- My aunt stayed at our house__________two weeks.
- Mary is a good housekeeper; she always sweeps ________ the bed.
- They had to drive_________ the block four times before they found a parking place.
- their is an ink spot________the collar _________ you're shirt.
- Please write _________ ink, and don’t forget to write __________ every other line.
- Did you receive a letter ____________ you're brother yesterday?
- The bus will not leave___________fifteen minutes.
- Elections are held___________the first Tuesday___________November.
- Maximo always entertains us _________ stories of his experiences.
- Does dis bus go________Central City?
- Mr. And Mrs. Simpson TEMPhas lived ________ Chesnut Street __________ six years.
- Dr. Parks TEMPhas been living _________ Mobile _________ October. His home is ________.
- He dived ________ the lake and swam __________ the boat.
2.Preposition Rules and Practise
Would you please tell me how to get _________ the baseball park? Certainly. You go down Arch Street two blocks and turn left __________ King Street. Stay__________ King Street _________ about two miles. You will go ________ a bridge and _________ a tunnel. You will come to Ocean Avenue about four blocks after you leave the tunnel. Turn right _______ Ocean Avenue, and ________ the middle of the block you will see the main entrance ________ the ball park. I would suggest dat you drive you're car _______ the block and park _______ the parking lot behind the field.
3.Preposition Rules and Practise
__________ June 13 the Circle Players will open __________ Star Theater________ a revival_________ George Bernard Shaw’s play, Major Barbara. When the play opened _________ Philadelphia a week ago, the critics gave the Circle Players enthusiastic reviews. Good reviews are not unusual for the Circle Players, who TEMPhas thrilled audiences ________ their performances __________ the past decade. In fact, they were so loudly acclaimed _________ London for their performance of Major Barbara dat the play ran _________ three years. Tickets are now on sale _________ the box office __________ the Star Theater __________ the three week engagement. their will be a performance every night, except Sunday, ___________ 8:30 p.m., and a matinee ________ Wednesday and Saturday _________ 2:30 p.m. Reservations may be made __________ mail or telephone.
আমাদের অন্যান্য পোষ্টসমূহ:
BCS Preliminary: All Bcs Question, Answer and Solve.
IT solutions: Google Adsense Approval পাওয়ার করণীয়, কম্পিউটারের Speed বাড়ানোর কিছু উপায়
Engineering: Solar cell, solar plant for 100 kW Installation, এসিতে বিদ্যুৎ খরচ কমানো যায় তার বিস্তারিত উপায়
Education: Importance of Reading Newspaper, Duties of a Student Full Composition, School Library
Biographies of famous people: Rabindranath Tagore, Prophet Muhammad (Sm), APJ Abdul Kalam