The word 'Data' means base information and the word 'Base' means assembly. In the literal sense, a database is a collection of vast data or information on a related subject. So a database is a system that stores a large amount of information. In other words, a database consists of one or more interrelated files or tables. Different database researchers have defined databases differently. Here are some definitions:
Written by Elamarsi & Navathe- "A database is a collection of related data." That is, the collection of related data is the database.
CJ Date, wrote- "A database consists of some collection of persistent data that is used by the application systems of some given enterprise."
The Advantages of Using the Database
- Ensuring maximum use of space by preventing repetition of the same information.
- Eliminate information inconsistencies. There may be discrepancies or logical inconsistencies in the information stored separately. When database information is store, any inconsistencies in the information can be detect.
- Multiple users are able to work with similar information at the same time.
- Ensuring information security. After updating the data, make sure that it is not delete before saving.
- Creating information self-sufficiency. Information created in one database can be use in another database.
- Finding information in the shortest time. All the information related to the subject can be easily extract in a very short time.
- Create all databases easily and in less time.
- Presenting data is easy and fast.
- Saved data can be update at any time.
- In a short time the data can be sort and arrange in different orders.
- Data can be handled very efficiently when needed.
Areas of the Database Management System(DBMS)
Banking- For buyer, account, loan and transaction information.
Biman- The purpose of seat reservation, schedule information management. It was first used by users for aeronautical purposes.
University- Students information, course registration and grades.
Credit Card Transactions- The purpose of credit card purchases, transactions and preparation of monthly statements.